Sunday, April 27, 2014

Only 2 more weeks until construction begins!

I'll finally have enough free time to build the layout, starting about 2 weeks from now.

This layout doesn't have exact dimensions yet, because the modules will be cut to fit. But there are some stats that I can say for sure:

  • Trains will be remote control, battery powered.  I'll focus on my Bachmann porter, but I also have an LGB Stainz which could use remote control as well.  This will eliminate any wiring that would be necessary for other layouts.
  • Layout will be a "Part Time oval" which is a switching layout that can have a loop of track added to it for shows.
  • Detachable staging yard.  Whether it's set up as a shelf layout or as an oval, I'll have a siding ready for use as a staging yard. Probably no more than two tracks wide though.
  • Lightweight plywood construction: I'll be using 1/4 inch plywood for all the modules.
  • Florescent lighting.
  • Painted backdrop.
  • River
  • Tunnel
  • Mine
  • Scratchbuilt buildings
  • Trees
  • Kitbashing railroad cars
  • And weathering just about everything.
Exact bench-work design and my sub-scenery is yet undecided.  But I'll have something developed by the time construction begins.

This won't be your average "how to build a railroad"  This will be more like "How to build a show layout"  which focuses more on design elements and artistic practices than ready-made structures.  I also hope to show anyone who follows this blog that anyone can build a great looking model railroad with a little practice and patience.

So tune in a couple weeks from now for the start of my model railroad, the first one in almost two years!

--James Willmus

No comments:

Post a Comment