Sunday, November 3, 2013

Planning

The first step in this railroad construction is to plan.  I like to plan my projects well, being sure that everything is how I think will be best.  Also, I am in college and so this railroad cannot be built except at certain times of the year, and only piece by piece.  I am predicting then that these first several posts will be all planning.  What I can give viewers that is exciting is valuable information and great prototype shots of the various railroads I'll be taking inspiration from.

So where do I start?  My gut and my experience tells me that I should decide what I want on the railroad first, then find a way to fit what I can into what ever space limits I finds.  Also, I want to have something as soon as I can build it, so whatever I start with should be simple, basic but to the point.

Do I start with a mine?
How about a small station?
Perhaps the interchange?

The best place to determine this is through the prototype.  The interchange is a very busy place, however this is way too large to be modeled quickly and still look good.  Going with a station or a whistle stop is okay; it's small, it's easy and it looks good.  However, a station doesn't quite capture the purpose of an industrial railway plus there is not much operating potential.  My first option, the mine sounds like something that could work.  A mine is the reason the railroad is in existence plus the mine will require one or two spurs to drop cars.  Furthermore, by going to the furthest mine, I also model one complete end of the system which is a physical starting point.

So a mine it is then.  The mine will require at least one spur so that rail cars can be dropped to be loaded.  If I wanted to make the scene incredibly rural, I would leave the track design as that, one spur off of a main line that abruptly ends just beyond the mine.  In addition, perhaps a small platform that the occasional boxcar of parts and tools can be parked at could be included.

A second module would have to be built to serve as a staging/fiddle yard/spur lead.  As long as the railroad's name is "Bard Creek" I might as well make this second module a bridge with a creek bottom.

Based on what I describe, here is my 3D rendition:

No comments:

Post a Comment