Saturday, February 1, 2014

Let's talk budget...

So after researching prices for the various things I'll need to build this railway, I've developed a budget which I hope to have matched on my bank account by May when I start construction.  First, let me make a list of what I'll need:


  • 5/8 inch plywood (one sheet per two modules): $25.00
  • 1/8 inch hardboard (two sheets per module): $8.00
  • 1" foam board (two sheets per module): $13.00
  • hardware(nuts, bolts, washers, screws, glue): $25.00 per module
  • Track from switchcrafters: $120.00
  • Ballast, dirt, and soil: $30 est
  • Power supply: $160 or less
  • Lighting: $30.00 per module
  • Rolling Stock (6-8 cars): $180
  • Paint (Black, grey, tan): $20
  • grasses and plants: $30 est
  • Trees: $30 est
  • TOTAL ESTIMATED BUDGET FOR LAYOUT:  $789
Of the things above, items I won't need right away include:

  • Power supply: $160 or less
  • Lighting: $30.00 per module 
  •  3-4 of the rolling stock items: $90
  •  Trees: $30 est

  • The result of leaving out the above items would still give me an operational layout that could be displayed at a show.  Plus, anywhere I can save money I will do so.  That means that the amount I need to worry about raising is: $449 plus about $50 in shipping for online orders and some extra for sales tax.  Therefore I can round up to about $500 as my budget limit.

    Is this a $500 layout?  It built under certain circumstances, then yes.  However, as I pointed out the items I would leave out would have to be added at some point after initial construction.  The power pack would need to be added for sure before the first show.  The other 4 cars would complete the needed rolling stock and trees would be nice.

    However if I can set aside $450 to $500 by May, then this layout will be possible.

    So there is my budget thus far.  Some items may change, although I highly doubt it.

    --James

    No comments:

    Post a Comment